Police ready for rise in immigrants leaving lorries at Cobham after Operation Stack
Traffic chaos in July as six people ran across M25
Ellie Cambridge, Reporter – Elmbridge
Plans are in place for Surrey Police to deal with a possible surge in immigrant entry numbers following Operation Stack.
Suspected illegal immigrants are regularly arrested at M25 Cobham Services.
Eurotunnel has said 1,500 people have tried to storm the Channel Tunnel in Calais to gain entry into the UK.
Police are often called to reports of people in the back of lorries at the services.
Since December last year, the Comet has reported on 55 people arrested on suspicion of illegal entry at Cobham Services.
In response to dealing with potential larger numbers a Surrey Police spokesman said: “We have an agreement in place with UK Visas and Immigration to be able to take detainees straight to immigration holding centres, which should reduce the impact on custody suites in Surrey.
“South east police forces and UK Visas and Immigration continue to work together to develop plans to intercept illegal immigrants at the point of entry to the country.”
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond, MP for Runnymede and Weybridge, chaired a meeting of the Cobra emergency committee on August 3, to address the situation.
17 people are found in the back of a lorry
12 people are found walking on the motorway near to the services
17 people run from police
A man is found walking on the motorway
Six people (five minors) run across the motorway from police.