See replies naming terrible potholes and incidents where vehicles have been damaged
A pensioner suffered facial injuries after hitting a pothole and coming off his bike
We asked for your thoughts on potholes and you were more than happy to air your views!
The state of Surrey’s roads drives many of you round the bend and is an issue which extends across the county.
Here is a selection of your comments from the Get Surrey questionnaire about potholes which attracted more than 260 reponses.
Areas of potholes
– Winterhill Way in Burpham is one of the worst roads in Guildford, There are always pot holes because the holes are repaired but never sealed and with buses and the driving schools doing three point turns in Winterhill Way the pot holes soon re-appear
– Stoughton Road in Guildford is like driving off road, it’s been like this for years now it’s terrible
– There are horrendous potholes on Farnham Road, Guildford, where you join from the Hog’s Back. Driving over them is like riding a rollercoaster!
– Too numerous to describe – there are many large potholes on every road where I live in The Sands, Farnham
– Large hole in middle of road in Jubilee Crescent, Addlestone see it everyday, been there several weeks and is getting worse
– The cut through from Chaldon down to A23 at Starbucks on way to M25
– On the way to Walton on the Hill from Ashtead
– Large potholes and road subsidence in Bailes Lane, Normandy. Potholes always present – road subsidence last six months
– Stoughton Road (Guildford) is one big one
– The Ridgeway in Fetcham including the roundabout with the Lower Road in Fetcham. Road getting bad over last six months
– I cycle approx 230-300 miles per week in Surrey, and see numerous potholes on near enough every stretch of road, a high number of which are dangerous to cyclists
– A stretch of Woodthorpe Road in Ashford is littered with potholes where cars dodge round them, this has been like it for a good couple of years and I use this road every week day
– Road leading into Waitrose in Hersham. Large pothole has been there since Christmas
– Prune Hill, Egham
– The road next to Ewhurst polo club is awful and needs addressing
Potholes on Bond Street in Englefield Green
Damage caused by potholes
– Several flat tyres, buckled wheels; easily more than £200 worth of damage
– Tyre destroyed and wheel damaged beyond repair
– The pothole was in Seale Road towards the Elstead end and damaged a wheel, which had to be replaced
– Car’s suspension was badly damaged during commute to and from Woking and Chertsey. The potholes are unavoidable because they are all over the roads
– Bicycle damaged by potholes on Thameside, Laleham. (The offending section has since been resurfaced)
– In car, near traffic lights at Cleeve Road, Leatherhead. New tyre needed. Several other cars also damaged at same time. Unsuccessful claim against council
– Car: Wheel alignment & excess tyre wear, Particularly bad round Elstead & Tilford Cycle: Puncture, Ripped tyre, damaged wheel & minor cuts & bruised to me when I fell off, Shackleford -> Hurtmore
– Burst tyre about a year ago. I was traveling in my car east towards Farnham, and hit a pothole before the Bull Inn in Bentley
– Broken coil spring front offside wheel of car. Pothole on Sir Richards Bridge likely culprit but there were so many at the time it’s hard to be certain
– Alloy wheel damaged beyond repair due to deep pothole on B386 at Longross. At least five other vehicles suffered punctures within around 45 minutes of me hitting the pothole
– Two car wheels buckled terminally. One bike carrier snapped. One carbon bike frame snapped. Estimated total damage £2,000
– I have had a puncture by direct cause of one of the pot holes down Woodthorpe Road and my partner the same with the pothole down Templedene Avenue
– Blown out tyre. Road between Dorking and Crawley but on the Surrey stretch
– Blown out tyre on my car, Merland Rise, Tadworth
– Smashed my front wheel + at least 6 other motorists feel foul. Outside the Vauxhall Garage on the Brighton Road in Addlestone
– Car tyre burst and needed replacement. Outside Nuffield Sports Leisure Centre, Pyrford Road, West Byfleet. Xmas Eve 2013. Compensation claim refused
– Never mind the potholes, entire roads are now so far gone they must be completely rebuilt, thanks to decade(s) of neglect. The pothole fixing crew – ‘bucket and spade boys’ – are constantly fixing the same potholes. Nice steady earner for them….
– I’m loathe to complain about the potholes because, whilst they’re horrendous and dangerous, I know that the work that would have to be completed to rectify them will cause awful traffic, and we all know that one little bit of work in Guildford causes gridlock across the whole area!
– When they do get around to repairing some potholes they are so badly done that the repair breaks down within a couple of months
– The roads around Surrey are terrible considering the area we live in. I cycle too and the roads are full of holes, uncovered drains etc. Does the UK use same road materials as other countries
– Gareth Thomas – I’ve spent the past week cycling in Spain, and the roads were a fantastic quality, much like what they are to ride in France too. Upon returning to England to cycle, what’s immediate is numerous potholes, ruts around manholes, and sub-standard ‘chip and seal’ temporary fixes
– Tony Jeeves – Surrey is very popular for cyclists and motorcyclists and these are very dangerous. Even in a motor vehicle, if a child walked out in the road a pot hole will affect braking
– Surrey roads are an embarrassment to the county. Those responsible for the poor state of our roads should be sacked
– The floods in areas around the Thames (like Chertsey) really made the potholes worse. Maybe when Chertsey has adequate funding for flood defences that will help
– Stop just filling in holes badly!!! Repair the roads properly! Resurface not patch up!!! Do roads that aren’t just on bus routes. I live Applegarth Avenue GU2 8LP, it is disgusting!!