Heritage Open Day

14 September 2024

Heritage Open Days offer people a rare opportunity to visit historic properties that open specifically for the event.

EFFRA co-ordinates the opening of properties in Effingham and Little Bookham which open on one agreed day during the two weeks designated as Heritage Open Days. This year they will open on Saturday 14th September with seven properties opening. As our two villages are very close it is possible to walk between all the properties using two self-guided routes The Bishop’s Walk and the Effingham Heritage Trail.

See inside a number of historic buildings open specifically for Heritage Open Day

No booking is required but the opening times of the properties vary, so please check individual details.

Parking is available in both villages.

Properties opening (see map for location)

1. Manor Farm Tithe Barn

Local History Exhibition: The village between two ancient routeways: Exploring the history of Little Bookham

Explore the history of Little Bookham – a tiny village between two ancient routeways which form its western and eastern boundaries – via illustrated displays and audio visual presentations at the impressive 15th Century Grade II listed Tithe Barn.

The impressive 15th Century Grade II listed Tithe Barn at Manor Farm, Little Bookham is one of the largest in Surrey at 4,500 square feet.
Illustrated displays will tell the history of this tiny village founded between two ancient routeways, including its manor, church and Tithe Barn. Enjoy the audio-visual presentations covering episodes in the village’s history, which will be repeated during the day. They will include:

  • how little Bookham was originally founded between two Anglo Saxon routeways.
  • the life of Sir Benjamin Maddox who was lord of the manor of Little Bookham in the 17th century and owned half of Mayfair.
  • Little Bookham in World War I covering the villagers who fought and the factory that manufactured armaments where many women worked.

Refreshments can be enjoyed in the barn or in the terraced courtyard garden which has been recreated from photographs taken in the 1920s. Families with children are very welcome. Parking is available on site with further parking at the neighbouring Manor House School – the former manor house (also open).

Opening times: 0930-1700
Location & directions: Manor Farm Tithe Barn, Manor House Lane, Little Bookham, Surrey, KT23 4EW
Accessibility details: Access to the new courtyard garden is restricted for wheelchair users, but totally visible from the barn. No wheelchair access to toilets.

2. Manor House School Heritage

Visit our beautiful Manor House, see displays from the archives and explore the grounds.

An elegant 18th century manor house in Little Bookham, extended in the 19th & 20th centuries, and the home of the Manor House School since 1937. It is set in beautifully landscaped grounds and is adjacent to All Saints’ Church and opposite Manor Farm Tithe Barn, both also open. Displays from the archives and self guided tours of the house, buildings and grounds.

Opening times: 1000-1700
Location & directions: Manor House School, Manor House Lane, Little Bookham, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT23 4EN
Contact on day: Liz Marriott
Telephone number: 01372458538
Accessibility details: No lift to access above the ground floor.

3. All Saints’ Church, Little Bookham

Visit this ancient, Grade II* church in a beautiful setting with a 1,300 year old yew tree and see probably the finest set of hatchments in Surrey displayed in the church.

The ancient, Grade II* church of All Saints is believed to have originated from about 1100 and has probably the finest set of hatchments in Surrey. The church has recently undergone essential renovation. Illustrated displays will explain the work carried out and the history of the church from its founding.

The beautiful churchyard contains a 1,300 year old yew tree. The hatchments and memorials in the church are mainly of the Pollen/Maddox/Boileau family who were lords of the manor of Little Bookham from around 1640 to 1935. See their family tree and information about the hatchments. There will be more information about them in the exhibition at the nearby Tithe Barn.

Opening times: 9.30 to 17.00
Location & directions: All Saints Church, Manor House Lane, Little Bookham, Surrey, KT23 4EL
Accessibility details: Wheel chair access via the rear door.

4. Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church

Designed in the early English Saxon style and faced in flint, the church was consecrated by the Catholic Bishop of Southwark on 8 October 1913.The Church was funded by Mr George Pauling, a railway engineer, who made his fortune in South Africa and who lived at The Lodge, Lower Road. His grave, along with several other family graves, can be found in the Church’s cemetery, along with a Pietà, which was carved in Carrara marble, as used by Michelangelo, as a memorial to him.

Part of the Effingham/Little Bookham Heritage Open Day Group, most of which properties can be visited by walking the Effingham Heritage Trail and Bishop’s Walk (printed copies available at venues). A new Heritage Board is sited at the shopping parade on The Street. Other Group members open in Effingham – Effingham Golf Club (formerly Effingham House), St Lawrence Church and the Methodist Church (refreshments available). In Little Bookham all properties have parking and are All Saints Church, Manor House School (formerly the Manor House) and the Tithe Barn (local history exhibition and refreshments available). Check properties’ entries for hours of opening.

Opening times: 10.00 to 16.00
Location & directions: Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, Lower Road, Effingham, Surrey, KT24 5AD

5. Effingham Methodist Chapel

Join us at Effingham Methodist Chapel for a Church & village history exhibition. Some local dinosaurs, fossils and meteorites. Crafts and quiz for children. RSPB display.

The Wesleyan Chapel was built from local flint and bricks in 1854 by Non-Conformists who used to worship on Effingham Common in the 1840s.

Expect a warm welcome and plenty to see and do including:

  • An exhibition about Chapel & village history, including local heroes Admiral Lord Howard of Effingham and inventor Sir Barnes Wallis of Dambusters fame.
  • A display about the 40th anniversary of Bill Walker’s discovery of Surrey dinosaur Baryonyx in a local clay-pit, plus more fossils, and meteorites will also be available.
  • Crafts and quizzes.
  • RSPB display.
  • Tea, coffee and home made cakes

Opening tmes: 10.00 to 17.00 (also open 10.00 to 17.00 Friday 13th September)
Location & directions: Effingham Methodist Chapel, Chapel Hill, Effingham, Surrey, KT24 5NB
Accessibility details: Toilets not wheel chair accessible

6. St Lawrence Church, Effingham

Visit this Grade II* listed church, with origins in the 12th century. Sir Barnes Wallis, inventor of the “bouncing bomb” for the ‘Dambusters Raid’, is buried in the churchyard.

Displays depict the history of the 12th century Grade II* listed church and stories of nationally and internationally known parishioners, including Sir Barnes Wallis who is buried in the churchyard and who was an active member of the church.

Opening times: 10.00 to 16.00
Location & directions: St. Lawrence Church, Church Street, Effingham, Surrey, KT24 5LX

7. Effingham Golf Club

Experience the history of this magnificent building from Georgian times through to being the clubhouse to one of England’s top 100 golf courses.

The Club House of the Golf Club (formerly Effingham House) originates from the early 18th century but was extensively extended and remodelled in the late 18th century. It became the manor house of Effingham manor in 1823. The recessed wings were added in 1880 and on either side of the house are ancient Cedars which feature as our club emblem.

Inside, early decorative features remain. A feature of the clubhouse is the oak beam in the Armada Room above the old fireplace which bears the date 1591 and came from an earlier house, possibly Effingham East Court manor house. The room is so named because of the early date of the beam and the Lord Howard association with Effingham.

Our course was designed and set out in 1927 by Harry Shapland Colt, perhaps England’s most famous course architect, who designed 300 or more courses worldwide.

Illustrated displays will explain the history of the house and the Golf Club.

Opening times: 9.00 to 12.00
Location & directions: Effingham Golf Club, Guildford Road, Effingham, Surrey, KT24 5PZ