Late this morning (Tuesday 21 April), a fire started at the back of the Village Supermarket. At this stage it too early to speculate on the cause. The fire was attended by seven Fire Brigade appliances which managed to bring the fire under control. Staff from Bevans the Butchers helped in trying to salvage some stock and possessions from the flat above. Bevans themselves have suffered some damage to their refrigeration unit, which the extent of it is still to be assessed.
The Village Supermarket and Post Office will be closed for the foreseeable future. Hopefully the damage to Bevans is only superficial and they will be able to reopen soon.
EFFRA sends its deepest sympathy to Bala Chandran, the shop owner, for the loss of his business, especially during these terrible times. We hope that he will be able to reopen the shop sometime in the not too distant future. Hopefully the insurance cover will in some small way help.
Some images from the scene